Observatory and planetarium České Budějovice is situated approximately 300 metres from the Premysl Otakar II. square in the park at the confluence of the river Vltava and Malse. The observatory in České Budějovice was opened in 1937 as the second oldest public observatory in Bohemia thanks to the South-bohemian Astronomical Society. The extension of planetarium and cinema hall was finished in 1971.
Observatory and planetarium České Budějovice pursues in the field of astronomy and allied natural sciences:
- presentation of information for general public
- out-of-school lessons following up with curriculum of all school levels
- activities for children and youth with deeper interest in this field
- cooperation with amateur astronomers
- proper research programme