Aleš South Bohemian Gallery is the only art museum in the South Bohemian Region, and one of the five largest institutions of its kind in the Czech Republic. It started its activity on the 1st January 1953 and got the name of the south bohemian painter Mikoláš Aleš (1852-1913).
Its main residence is a former neo-gothic castle riding school in Hluboká nad Vltavou (built 1845-1847 by the Viennese architect Franz Beer, and subsequently adapted by a Budweiser architect Jaroslav Fidra in 1953-1955). The castle riding school AJG holds the main exposition projects of the season. In 1967 a branch was established - AJG ceramics department, which is located in a refurbished building of the former castle brewery in Bechyně. A renovated Wortner House was opened in České Budějovice for exhibition purposes in 1993. It is a Gothic building restored in a Renaissance style.
Alšova South Bohemian Gallery offers a wide selection of expositions from their own collections and also projects created in a cooperation with external curators, galleries and private entities. Apart from this there is a rich accompanying programme of guided tours, lecture series, concerts. A newly established educational center organizes creative educational programmes for kids and youths, art studios and teachers.
Exhibition halls open daily, on Sundays free admission.