A small Jewish settlement is documented in the town from the first half of the 18th century. In 1747, there were 2 Jewish families living here, in 1783 there were 6 Jewish families, and in 1793 there were 43 Jews here. In 1880, there were 89 Jews (5.6% of all inhabitants) living in the town, 37 Jews (2.4% of all inhabitants) in 1900, and in 1930 only 8 Jews (0.8% of all inhabitants).
There was never a closed ghetto in Stráž, since Jewish houses were scattered around the town and formed several separate clusters in the western half and the northern outskirts of the town.
The Classicist synagogue at No. 24 was built in the first quarter of the 19th century on Třeboňská Street, west of the town square. It was used for worship until the First World War. In 1920, it was sold to ropemaker Adolf Novotný and his wife Maria. After the sale, several Jews from Jindřichův Hradec arrived, dismantled the tabernacle inside the synagogue, loaded it on a vehicle, and took it to Jindřichův Hradec, marking the end of the Stráž synagogue. From 1920, it was used as a warehouse and a garage, then after 1986 as a shop. A square hall with wooden false vaulting decorated with stucco has been preserved, while the vistas onto the western female gallery on the upper floor have been walled up.
The maintained forest cemetery is located 1.5 km west of the castle, north of the road leading to Mláka. It was likely founded in the 18th century and is mentioned in written sources for the first time in 1810. Jews from Třeboň, Nové Hrady, České Velenice, Suchdol nad Lužnicí, Chlum nad Lužnicí, and Austrian Schrems were also buried there until the end of the 19th century. Today, there are 150 tombstones from 1847 to the 1930’s on a cemetery area of 816 square meters. The cemetery house is used for recreational purposes.