Church of St. James in Týn nad Vltavou
The church was established by Bishop Tobiáš of Bechyně in the second half of the 13th century
The church was established in the second half of the 13th century. In 1702, the Chapel of St. Barbara was added, and a crypt for the town’s major dignitaries in its basement. An organ was installed in the interior in 1717; it is one of the best-preserved Baroque instruments in Bohemia. At present, there are three bells in the church, named Christofor, Vltavotýn and St. Wenceslas.
The church was established by Bishop Tobiáš of Bechyně in the second half of the 13th century. Its original patron was St. Christopher; the church was expanded in 1569 and consecrated to St. James the Elder. Another modification took place in 1702. Toward the main square, the Chapel of St. Barbara was added, and a crypt for the town’s major dignitaries in its basement. A Baroque organ was installed in the interior in 1717, and rebuilt in 1777. It is one of the best-preserved Baroque instruments in Bohemia (outside Prague). The church underwent a major modification in August 1753, on the initiative of Empress Maria Theresia, who visited it. The church was given a Baroque appearance, the nave was widened and a tower with a belfry was added.
In 1759, the church was expanded with another side Chapel of St. Joseph. The radical modification of the church was completed in 1763. The main frontage was adorned with statues of St. Joseph, James and Barbara.
Original Baroque furnishings have been preserved inside the church; the main altar painting is the work of the Jesuit painter Ignatius Raab, and his order brother Süsmayer is the maker of the baptismal font with interesting carvings of the Profligate Son and Mary Magdalene, the pulpit and other interior decorations. An original mid 16th century fresco is exposed in front of the vestry entrance, representing the Passion of the Christ along with coats of arms of the Cabelický and Úšava noble lords. The fresco originally guarded the entrance to the Cabelický family tomb with a hewn tombstone, relocated under the organ loft today.
The only remnant of the churchyard is a part of terrace wall under the church. The statues by the staircase represent St. Francis Xavier and St. Norbert. The statue of Virgin Mary in front of the Chapel of St. Barbara originally guarded the churchyard entrance. The church was renovated several times in later periods, but its appearance has not changed radically.