Old Town Tábor
Žižka Square - a display of interesting structures
The town skyline is dominated by the Gothic Dean's Church which is visible from far away since it is situated on the highest point of the town (on the northern side of the square) and an impressive late-Gothic Town-Hall where the Hussite Museum is located and from where Tábor’s underground corridors can be entered. Žižka Square is encircled with architecturally precious burgher houses – Škoch House, houses no. 12, 13, 16, 17, 18 and 19, Lichvic House and Ctibor House. The central part of the square is enhanced with a Renaissance fountain and a monument to Jan Žižka of Trocnov.
The appearance of most of the existing burgher houses was finalized only after great fires in 1532 and 1559. Their cores and exteriors date from the late Gothic period or the Renaissance one. Baroque, Rococo and Empire are represented less frequently.
Rich frescos, sgraffiti and gable decorations are typical of these houses. Let’s name at least some examples of the houses encircling Žižka Square – Škoch House, Lichvic House and Ctibor House and houses no. 17, 18 and 19. We can also see beautiful fresco-decorated houses in Pražská Street, such as Stárek House.
You can find details about individual houses in a leaflet about Tábor which is available from the Tourist Information Centre.