From Prachatice to Libín mountain
Go to the highest point above Prachatice.
The historical center of Prachatice is one of the most preserved Renaissance places in our country. Inside the city walls, with the most famous Helvite bastion, countless historical monuments have been preserved. That is why, in 1981, the City Monument Reserve was also declared.
The entrance to this historic core is the most romantic Lower Gate, called Písecká, with the remains of the Prachatic artillery shelling - half-walled balls. After entering the fortifications, on the left we notice the so-called Haydl House No. 29 with Renaissance sgraffiti. Right behind him is the dominant Prachatic, St. Jacob of the 14th century, in whose sacristy during the Hussite riots burned 75 German citizens. In the aisle behind the church at house no. 31 you can see the most beautiful sgraffito in Prachatice - picture of the Lord's Dinner from 1563. On the big square there are other houses decorated with sgraffiti - Rumpálův dům No. 41, Sittru's house no. 13 (we can see the local museum), Bozkovský house No. 45. On the upper side of the square is interesting Old Town Hall from 1570-71 with decoration from the painter Březnický. The new town hall was built in 1903. In the middle of the square stands a fountain from the 16th century. with the statue of Justice.
From the Prachatic center we take the red hiking trail to the former town baths of St. Markéta, which were in operation from 1783 to 1935. Healing was carried out with cold water by the Preisnitz or Kneipp method, and the nerve or locomotive organs were treated here. Several spa buildings still stand today.
We will continue along the red hiking trail, and in places where it turns sharply to the right, we will go straight along the corrected stops of the cross way to the chapel of St. Filipa Neri. The chapel from 1803 replaced the original wooden. To the chapel and to the healing spring was Prachatic running twice a year. Continue further from the hill, then slightly uphill and after about one kilometer we join the yellow tourist route, continue to the crossing U Sedélka, then turn right blue to Libín hill (1096 m). Here is a lookout tower 27 meters high, built by MTK in 1883 in honor of the visit of Crown Prince Rudolph in Prachatice on July 16, 1871 and named "Tower of Crown Prince Rudolf". Today it is open year-round except Mondays and from the viewing platform we can see not only Prachatice, but also the predominant part of Šumava, Novohradské Mountains, Blanský les with Kletí or Brdy. In clear weather, especially in the autumn, the Alps can also be seen. When we get enough of the view of the greenery of the Bohemian forests, we descend on the famous blue sign to Libínský Sedl. Formerly, the settlement was called Fefry, the first mention of it was in 1351. The famous Golden Path traveled here. In the village is preserved the late Gothic church of St. Anne from the 16th century, which was rebuilt in Baroque style in 1732. There is a building with half-roofed roofs under the influence of a blat house. From Libínský Sedl, we take the yellow tourist sign back to Prachatic. On the way we can see the terrain remnants of the already mentioned Golden Path, which was brought to Prachatic from the Bavarian Passau salt.
Photo: Bed & Bike Prachatice
Starting Point: Prachatice
Route: Prachatice-Libín-Libínské Sedlo-Prachatice
Length: 14 km
Route difficulty: higher
Access: on foot
Refreshments: Prachatice, Libín
Text author: Ing. Josef Pecka